The sudden onset of the Covid-19 pandemic stunned all of us, delaying or bringing operations to a standstill. Traditional businesses struggled with issues of lockdown, public transport and social distancing, and the construction business was no exception. Projects were massively delayed by the absence of labour and reluctance of customers. As a result architectural work too came to a grinding halt. immersive virtual reality is one of the few innovation of 21st Century
However, as the fears and restrictions abated, the architecture industry has revived, although with some significant changes to accommodate the new realities of the post-Covid world. A rapid rise in the use of Immersive Reality technology is one of them.
What is Immersive Reality?
Immersive Reality (IR) is an umbrella term for augmented reality (AR), virtual reality (VR), and mixed reality (MR). AR superimposes a digitally constructed image onto a person’s view of reality, creating a composite view. VR enables users to transport themselves into a 3D digital environment, which they can explore and manipulate with the help of appropriate gadgets. Mixed reality (MR) refers to the merging of the real and virtual worlds to form new environments, where physical and digital objects co-exist and interact in real-time.
In recent years, the world of immersive technology has evolved by leaps and bounds, and the wow-factor it carries with it has taken over the world by storm.
Already popular in gaming, IR has become imperative in a variety of industries to adapt to the challenges of the post-Covid world. Architecture, education and marketing are among notable beneficiaries.
Benefits of IR for architects
- Using VR technology, architects can see the final result of their work well before construction. This enables them to observe the model in minute detail at a very early stage, helping them to work out the complexities of design and make refinements.
- It is almost impossible for us to to replicate the spatial characteristics of a given environment in our minds. Hence,in conventional designing methods, corrections and adjustments are required while transforming an architect’s vision into reality. VR takes the game to a next level. The ability to virtually inhabit a space through VR gives a precise idea of the spatial qualities of a project.
- Immersive reality enables virtual building of a project. Design glitches and unforeseen problems can be detected earlier, before the project reaches construction phase, and inessential delays can be prevented. This detection enables substantial financial savings, as well as saving on the environmental waste caused by correction problems and longer times spent on the construction site.
Benefits of IR for business growth
Using virtual reality, clients can explore the simulation of the architect’s design. Directly involved in a 3D space, they can get a better understanding of the final structure. This increases the selling chances of the company.
- IR in architecture allows businesses to test out real-world scenarios in a virtual simulation. Clients also get an idea of the internal situation of the building in case of hazards like fire. Using real-time reactions of individuals in the simulation, architects can understand the utility and ability of their designs.
- IR in architecture allows clients to get a better understanding of what they like and dislike about different aspects of the design. This dramatically improves the feedback process and selling opportunity of the company, as clients can provide feedback while viewing the models.
- At the next level, buyers can see how different furniture would look inside their potential homes using AR. This helps interior designers understand their clients’ demands and act accordingly.
But what if a client wants to view designs from home and doesn’t have the gadgets like VR headsets supporting immersive technology?? Well, immersive architecture designs can be viewed on desktops and smartphones too. The 3D designs can be viewed in the form of images and can be further rotated and adjusted to get a full view of the design.
Obviously, to explore all the advantages of IR for architecture, construction and interior decoration, you need the help of experts. In Kolkata, Andreal offers you the best Immersive Reality solutions and suggestions based on their experience, not only in the relevant technologies but also with the construction industry. To discover how you can use the full power of IR, give us a call today!